Grandpa Hawkins & Grandma LaRue

This is Grandpa Hawkins & Grandma LaRue. Dan's maternal grandfather, and Grandma LaRue is his step-grandmother (is grandma died before he was even born). This picture was taken June 2006, when almost all of his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren came up for a surprise Father's Day visit. Grandpa Hawkins passed away a couple of weeks ago, on March 16, 2008. We were lucky enough to be able to attend the funeral in Idaho. It was beautiful, and something that will not be forgotten. During the viewing, funeral and graveside, you could tell that Grandma LaRue was taking Grandpa's death the very hardest. You knew that they loved each other very much. Because of Grandma LaRue's health, she was unable to live with Grandpa Hawkins for little bit before his death, but he would visit her as often as he could, and they would talk on the phone everyday. She had high hopes of returning home to her husband. She did, just not the way she had originally planned. She passed away just a couple of days ago, and now they are both together again. Even though death can be hard for those that are left behind, I feel so much happiness for the both of them. I know that they are so much happier together, and they probably have this sense of "finally, we made it!". I am grateful for the times that I have personally been able to spend with Dan's grandparents, I know that it will be something that I will only have deeper understanding and appreciation for as Dan and I grow old together.


5 comments:

Mrs.Mayne said...

Good for them. In November Jon's grandparents passed away just 7 days apart from each other. Thats how I hope it happens to me.

{Jason and Elan} said...

That is touching. What a great picture of them holding hands, it is priceless.

Marianne said...

I am so grateful for the gospel and to know that this is not the end! What a sad thought! Miss you guys:)

Jaimee said...

I'm glad they weren't apart for long! And I hope you guys are doing well. It's tough to lose someone you love, even though you know it won't be forever.

Brooke said...

That is the sweetest thing. I always tell Blake I hope we die one (or near) the same day. I can't imagine going on with the rest of my life without a companion. I'm glad they are together again.