Now... and THEN.

I was recently forwarded THIS article, and it amazes me that we are living in such a completely different world than those that were younger married couples living 50 years ago. In the large scale of things, this wasn't written very long ago. In fact, this was at the time when my own Mother was a young woman, and this is what she would have read to prepare herself for marriage and motherhood. The actual mentality of the people (I don't mean to be sexist, but this article HAD to be written by a man) was SO completely off of what our culture thinks now. While I don't really agree with what this article is about, and I am not about to jump up and change Easton's clothes, and put on my makeup so we are "fresh" for Dan when he gets home from work (Plus, don't you think this article is perceiving men to be pansies? What is that all about?). I also do not believe what some may perceive this article as to be on the lines of spousal abuse. It was just the way things were. I feel that there is nothing wrong with loving and serving the ones we love, and in saying that, I would also expect that same love and service in return. Right now, we are living in a culture where it is the norm to mistreat each other. I would think that most would agree that this happens the most with the people we truly love and care about the very most. I see myself getting trapped in this "playful banter", much too often. But again, it's just the norm, right?  I find myself doing everything I possibly can to be accommodating to complete strangers, for fear of what they may think. But, when it comes to my husband,  family, or those I love, I have a tendency to let things slide and expect the accommodating to come from the other person. I think that there is much that we can learn from people of different times and cultures, and there is much that they can learn from us. Anyway, enough of my rambling. Dan and I are coming up on our 3 year anniversary next week! What a perfect time to change some of my ways, and to get out of our usual routine of life. To sometimes have his favorite for dinner, and to make the extra effort to have everything nice and ready when he gets home. Not so he can relax, but so we can relax together!

6 comments:

Jana said...

Ok, I agree with your commentary. All I have to say is that there is a reason I wasn't a wife in the 50's... good gracious.

{Jason and Elan} said...

I love your new layout! How did you do the top part with your last name?
I enjoyed reading that article, it is so funny how different the times are now.

Mrs.Mayne said...

What are you taking about?? I always put a ribbon in my hair just before Jon comes home. Of course I greet him a the door with a cool drink and remove his shoes for him. I guess I am the only wife these days that still knows her "place".

The Asper's said...

Kendall says things haven't changed, and he doesn't know what you're talking about ! :)

I really loved this post

Marianne said...

Markey you totally crack me up!!!

The article was interesting but I don't know if I really believe that it was published.

Brooke said...

I've seen that article several times lately. It's too funny! It's interesting to think though, that women still have certain "expectations" these days. They are defiantly different than those 50 years ago and not nec. written in an article like that. They are not necessarily good or better either. Sorry, I try to think outside the box sometimes, that's just what I thought of:)